Dear Readers, Please check out this article on VAR.
“Is VAR Spoiling The Beautiful Game? – England Fans Have Their Say”
So far VAR’s involvement in the World Cup has led to major controversies. Ronaldo has gone from loving VAR to hating it in the space of a half of football – but what do England fans think? Betway asked 350 Brits their opinions on VAR in the World Cup.
Stand Out Survey Stats:
• 1 in 5 British football fans doesn’t agree with the use of VAR during the World Cup for fear of it ruining the beautiful game.
• But 97% of Brits disagree with the referee’s decision during the World Cup.
• 39% of Brits are only willing to wait 30 seconds to a minute for a VAR decision during the World Cup.
• 15% don’t think England will benefit from VAR being used during the world (85% believe England will benefit)
• But 69% of Brits think technology like VAR is helping to improve accuracy in football.
• However, only 24% Brits know what VAR analyses during a game, with 76% in the dark.
• 53% of Brits think retrospective red cards will improve payer discipline in the World Cup.
With this year’s success so far, England fans are feeling hopeful about their chances in Russia 2018. But looking back in history, might there have been more World Cup victories for England if VAR had been on their side in the past?
Key decisions which have gone against England in previous World Cups, including ‘The Hand of God’, perhaps the most famous moment in World Cup history, still pain England fans 30 years later. Betway has looked at moments in England World Cup history, which may have led to a VAR-y different result, had the technology been in place.
Betway has depicted the VAR alternatives to those all-important England World Cup moments here: